In February 2012, Joe started his own little Garbage Can Curbside Service. He asked our neighbors if he could roll out, and then back in, their garbage cans on trash day. In return, they would pay him 25¢ each week.
Through the job, Joe has learned many life lessons. You can get the free download HERE on the benefits we’ve seen from Joe starting a small business and how to start your own.
We have been fortunate to be in contact with many businessmen offering tips to our now 6 year old Garbage Man. Today we hear from Joe Eital of Hometown Dumpster Rental!
5 Business Tips for Garbage Man Joe:
1. Customers recognize and appreciate companies which deliver an honest product or service. Don’t be fake just to earn a few bucks. Long term wealth is only achieved with hard work, honesty and a love for what you do.
2. Humility really goes a long way in the business world. If your product or service is really that good, your customers will rave about it – you don’t have to.
3. Start small and plan for the long run. Every company starts with an idea and grows from there. True success takes years of hard work and dedication. Prepare for the long haul rather than getting in, making a quick buck, and getting out.
4. Communication is key. At Hometown, we make sure each and every customer is satisfied with our service, and we respond to every single call or email we receive as promptly as possible. It’s one of the reasons we’ve been so successful in the home services industry over the past 5+ years. Communication amongst coworkers is equally important to ensure everyone’s on the same page working toward a common goal.
5. Love what you do. Quite possible the most important business tip to ensure long term success is to enjoy your work. As the saying goes, “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life” (Confucius)
What tips would you give kids starting a small business?